The gateway to the South Shore
The Town of Burgeo (population 1600) is located on the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland and Labrador and was initially a stop for coastal boats as the community was isolated like many others along this coast.
The highway, nicknames The Caribou Trail, was built in 1979 and the Town can now be accessed by driving south from Stephenville through mountains, past barrens and eventually arriving at the ocean.
Sandbanks Provincial Park is located in Burgeo and features camping, sandy beaches, hiking trails and playground areas.
Waterfowl and shore birds such as the piping plover can be seen on the beaches and in areas surrounding Burgeo.
Trails in the area range from walks through boreal forest of Aaron’s Arm to sandy beaches when the trail ends at Sandbanks Provincial Park.
The beautiful ponds, the ocean and islands of the Burgeo Archipelago provide locations for scuba diving, kayaking, fishing and boating.
Burgeo is the port that links the coastal boats and ferries from Ramea, Grey River and Francois to access Highway 480 and the island of Newfoundland.
Skinner’s House is located at 17 Hares Road with a beautiful sunrise view of Short Reach and the ocean and inlets to the west.
Welcome to Burgeo.